Keyword Research +
Need a hand doing keyword research, topic clustering and prioritization for your content marketing efforts?
I can help you efficiently and accurately group thousands of keywords into topics which should be targeted with new content on your site.
Whether you are looking to jumpstart your content marketing efforts to drive more SEO traffic, or you’re setting the course for your content marketing program, your basis is research:
- What keywords do you want to rank for?
- How do these keywords align into topics?
- Which pieces of content should you create first to drive the most traffic?
These questions are the foundation of a search driven content marketing program. While they are fundamental, the process of understanding topics and keywords is either extremely time consuming when done manually, or error prone when using standard automation processes such as n-grams due to challenges understanding language.
I use Google’s semantic understanding of keywords to cluster keywords into topics at scale, creating an actionable list of content to produce.
“Geoff gets the big picture and is great at building content that creates real value – generating SEO traffic, revenue, and connecting with users.”
– Luz, Director Content Marketing
The manual topic clustering process is typically Googling each keyword and reviewing the keywords to see if Google understands a set of keywords have the same meaning. The software based approach typically utilizes n-grams or other methods which look at the number of common words in phrases – this means that synonyms and semantically related words often end up in separate groups because they don’t share common words.
My method leverages Google’s own natural language understand to group semantically related keywords into topics quickly and accurately. I can group thousands of keywords into semantically related groups within days not weeks.
When doing content marketing strategy research, there are two typical approaches I use:
- GAP analysis (looking at which keywords a competitor ranks for, but you do not)
- Category deep dives (you know you want to produce content related to a certain category, field, or product, and I’ll pull a list of keywords referencing the topic)
Topic Deep Dive
With a topic deep dive, we’ll work together to identify keywords which we want to focus on. Typically these are product categories or high level keywords which drive a significant portion of the site (ex: “kitchen”). After working together to identify 3 – 10 topics, I’ll use SEMrush or ahrefs to export a list of all keywords which contain the topics.
With a competitor Gap analysis, I’ll filter for only the keywords that are ranking on page 1 or 2 – this ensures we’re looking at the most relevant keywords and reduces noise in the data. If we need to reduce the number of keywords, we can raise the minimum threshold for the number of searches per month (this can often yield a higher number of topics though it tends to under-estimate the opportunity)
After generating the list of keywords (either from the gap analysis or topic deep dive), I’ll group them into topics based on which ones Google believes have the same intent and can be effectively targeted on the same page.
After turning the keyword list into a set of topics, I’ll build a custom click through rate curve and map out the search traffic you can gain for each topic. I’ll also provide a document on how to work with the output and prioritize your content production efforts.
- Get a list of keywords from a deep dive on specific topics or from competitors
- Clean up the list of keywords to remove duplicates and low value keywords
- Cluster semantically related keywords together
- Estimate traffic growth opportunity
You’ll get a spreadsheet containing:
- Topics & associated keywords
- Search volume associated with each topic & keyword
- Estimated traffic opportunity based off a custom click through rate curve
I’ll also provide:
- A document with guidelines to turn these topics into articles
- An article brief template that you can use to help create optimized content
Pricing is based on the number of keywords.
|# of Keywords||# of Competitors||Price|
|Need something different? I'm flexible. Contact me for custom pricing.|
Think We Might Work Well Together?
Let's talk and see if we're a good fit to partner together.